Wednesday, August 5, 2015

August 5 - It's a wrap!



Date: August 5, 2015
By: Harrison Levine



Dear Blog, 

I sit here tasked with the job of writing a blog entry summarizing our departure and the trip as a whole.Our time at the airport was extremely easy as everyone was checked in within 30 minutes. Then we went through security with an even great ease. In quick summarization, we passed through the airport so quickly that we had almost 2 hours of free time before we needed to board our plane. Those last hours on land were filled with last minute shopping and an aggressive search for a free outlet to charge our phones. In the end, everyone charged their phone and was ready to fly. Then as we board the plane, we, Diller Toronto, met Billium Israel who we shared a returning flight home with. We boarded the plane only to wait 1 hour taxiing because of a lady's medical complications. After all was dealt with 12 fellows, 1 JC, and our coordinator, Raquel, departed from the Holy land, Israel. The 12-hour flight was, all in all simple. Those who slept, slept the entire flight and those who stayed awake kept themselves entertained. I had the pleasure of sleeping the majority of the journey but I think there is a lot to say about the travel.


The quickest way for any Torontonian to fly to Israel is 12 hours or half a day. Not to mention the time spent in the airport. These 12 hours, in my opinion, mean so much more than a measurement of time but rather the significance of one's connection to Israel. These hours, though long and often tedious, are endured by many people. Why? Because in one-way or another, all Jews have a connection to Israel. And now I return from spending 21 days in Israel on the exact same 12-hour flight. This flight in all honesty is tiring, uncomfortable, and nerve-racking. Despite all these barriers, I have found this time to find my connection to Israel. In basic thought, the 12-hour trip is just a small burden until the reward comes. On the contrary, I believe that everyone subconsciously thinks about Israel in his or her own way. No matter if you are traveling there or on your way back, Israel is with you. Personally, I found this trip invigorating as I felt I gained a strong understanding of Israel and what it means to have a Jewish state. Israel is more than just borders and lines on a map. It is an idea. During international congress, 500 Diller Fellows and staff were unified on the basic idea that we shared a Jewish Home.
Now, ask anyone else on the trip. I promise you every person will have his or her own words to say whether it is their seventh time or their first. This is what makes Israel so special. This is why the length of flight is so significant. This time allows one both traveling there and traveling back to reflect on memories and aspire to new ones.

On a final note, I think I can speak on behalf of my cohort, thank you to Raquel and all the people who made this trip possible.






No comments:

Post a Comment