Monday, July 28, 2014

Day 4: From Mountain to Parade

July 27, 2013
By: Antigone Fogel

Today was an amazing day of both education and fun. We started our day with a visit to Kibbutz Eilot where both Artyom and Tamara (two of the Eilat-Eilot fellows) live. Our visit started by meeting one of the original members of kibbutz Eilot. He told us all about why he chose to move there and the type of work members of the kibbutz do to keep it running smoothly. After that we spoke with Artyom, Tamara, and the head of their program about the program and what it is like to move to Israel alone as a teenager, living without the support from your parents which we all take for granted. It was very interesting, and I am very glad that Artyom and Tamara chose to share it with us!

After Kibbutz Eilot we went to the police station and learned about how they deal with suspicious objects which are potential bombs. It was a very interesting and interactive presentation, but because it was outside and the weather was very hot, it was difficult to pay complete attention. After the presentation ended, I decided I would find my way inside to air conditioning. However, it turned out that right as I started off, a prisoner was being taken to a building. So I followed him. I followed him a bit too far, because I almost ended up in the place they take all the prisoners. Luckily, I realized before I got booked as a criminal myself. In total, the visit was very interesting and I had fun.

Then, after the police station tour, we went on a jeep ride up some of the mountains in Eilat to a beautiful viewpoint. From it, you could see three different countries! It was beautiful, and the drives to and from the viewpoint gave us a great opportunity to bond with the other people in our jeeps. So far, that tour is one of my highlights of our trip!

Finally, after all of that craziness we went on a parade to support Israeli troops. It was amazing for me to see all of the people who came out to show their support. There were tons of huge Israeli flags, and even people driving by would honk their horns in solidarity. The sense of community for that short period of time was incredibly strong, and the experience is one I will never forget.

Well, that's all for the day! We each did our own thing with our hosts. Now it is late, and I have to wake up early tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment