Monday, July 11, 2016


Date: Saturday, July 9
Author: Zev Winegust
Theme: Jewish Communities Kennes

Today was shabbat in the holy city of Jerusalem. The weather was 30°C and there was not a cloud in the sky. The day started off with breakfast and shabbat services. I decided to go to the theatre/drama service. It involved acting out the parsha of the week (Korach), and required us to make a skit and put a different spin on it. We were split up into 2 groups and each group needed to act out a certain amount of aliyot. My group did the last 4 aliyot in the style of a rap musical. I was involved with creating the beat for our group while Sam rapped the narraration and other members acted out what he was saying. After we were done with that, we played some improv games. I enjoyed that service. It was different and I appreciate that. 

When we split off into our colour groups, we discussed the parsha in more depth where we discussed responsibility, leadership, and Donald Trump. When we got to the old city later in the day, I felt amazing. I haven't been there since February of last year, I didn't want to leave then and I don't want to leave now. We did havdalah at the Kotel and I was so happy and grateful to be at the holiest city in the world with some of my best friends. When I touched the wall I felt relaxed and at peace, so glad just to be standing there again. My friend, Max found a part of the wall which almost was a perfect imprint of a hand. Just imagining that someone thousands of years ago possibly touched the same place as I was touching was so moving it almost brought me to tears. At Ben Yehuda St, I went up and down the street with my friends Max, Oliver, and Josh. We all had a good time tonight, and I can't wait to have more fun the rest of this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment